Final: Knicks 110, Lakers 103

The Knicks defeated the Lakers, 110-103, on Sunday afternoon.

The Least You Should Know

Carmelo Anthony followed up his record-setting effort against the Bobcats with a team-high 35 points.

The Knicks are 5-3 against the West in the month of January (5-11 overall)

Raymond Felton scored a season-high 20 points.

Despite the loss, the Lakers had a better shooting percentage from the field (52 percent) and from beyond the arc (47.8 percent).

Sam Spiegelman

Behind another stellar performance from Carmelo Anthony, the Knicks notched their second win in as many games, defeating the Lakers, 110-103, at Madison Square Garden Sunday afternoon.

Anthony followed up his record-setting 62-point performance by scoring a game-high 35 points, including a 14-of-31 mark from the field, in addition to dishing out five assists and grabbing four rebounds.

The Knicks entered the fourth quarter with a two-point lead, but outscored the Lakers 27-22 in the final frame. Raymond Felton scored six of his season-high 20 points in the quarter, while rookie Tim Hardaway Jr. and J.R. Smith each scored five points in the quarter and finished with 18 and 16 points, respectively.

Making his second consecutive start, Pablo Prigioni failed to record a point, going 0-for-3 from the field in 22 minutes played. He was the only Knicks starter to finish with a negative +/-.

Jodie Meeks scored a team-high 24 points for Los Angeles, while Pau Gasol had 20 points and 13 rebounds. Manny Harris added 18 points off the bench. The Lakers’ losing streak is now at four.

Next Game: The Knicks host the Boston Celtics on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. ET.




47 comments
tifoso6
tifoso6

It was the battle of the mikes.  Two lousy coaches who do not know how to get their team to play defense. Which  one is better.  I say D'Antoni at least he can coach offense.  Woodson can do neither.

Chris
Chris

Iread some that believe salvation is in the form of a high draft choice. Lets figure Melo is a top 10 player, which is low, there are currently about 360 players in the league and 10 stars 10/360, reduces to 1/36, lets say now the average life span of a player is 5 years to make life simple, meaning each year the chances 1/36 gets multiplied by 1/5, making the number 1/180, which is the probability that you get a star in each draft. Just saying that is not a good number, as a decimal that is,005 repeating which turns into . 5 %. And you think the savior is the draft????

ENGLBERT_HUMPERDINK
ENGLBERT_HUMPERDINK

FOOD FOR THOUGHT KNICK FANS !!!!!!!!!!!


"Just focus on the game today," he said. "That's all you do. Just focus on the thing that is right in front of you at that moment. You try not to stress out too much about things that are beyond your control. You try to focus on the day-to-day things."

But, when does a free agent start considering his options?

"Well, everybody wants to play in Los Angeles," Bryant said. "I mean New York is a beautiful place, don't get me wrong, but it is colder than [expletive] out here. You know, palm trees and beaches obviously are a little more appealing.

"All jokes aside, I think that players, when that time comes, will have to make the best decision for them and their families. I try not to think about it too much. If he wants to call me for advice later as a friend, I will be more than happy to give it to him."

"I love the snow," Anthony said. "I played in Syracuse [N.Y.], where you get 25 inches" in a storm.


JustKnowz
JustKnowz

Just wanted to chime in the obvious… great win for the Knicks (any win is good) AND


IF MELO DOESNT SIGN AN EXTENSION BY CRUNCH TIME IN FEBRUARY…. 

YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS…. TRADE HIM.

Brostoevsky
Brostoevsky

Thanks for the memories, Mike D'Antoni. Pity about Dwight. Remember when the pundits were fitting the Lake Show for rings before last season?

ponzies86
ponzies86

Melo could average 5 assists a night if his supporting cast can step up like they did today and actually hit their shots. Great to see 5 players in double figures. 

gregori
gregori

don't know where speigelman got his win-loss numbers from but for the record for the month of january:

the knicks are 4-2 against the west & 8-6 overall.

not 5-3 & 5-11 as you state.

Parz Lou
Parz Lou

wow to think i was feeling sorry for myself as a knick fan.... the lakers are a pile of hot trash.


Seth Nadler
Seth Nadler

Knicks won which is better than losing I guess, but until this team gets better defensively they can lose to anyone, no matter home or away

kenmetskni
kenmetskni

Meryl Streep and 50 cent sitting right next to each other. Only at the Garden.

1harris1
1harris1

Melo is going to give up 30 million dollars to play with those clowns?  Nah, don't think so.

brookdon
brookdon

Lakers Blog Highlights!!

"God I hate the lol Knicks."

"as soon as kelly comes in melo starts scoring again

both wes & jordan had him covered well"

"chris paul state farm ads are awesome"

"melo showing us why he wants to come here this offseason"

"Nothing against Melo but think he sort of duplicates Kobe's role

Would rather have Love and Embiid, especially if he gets a good defensive coach"

"people who say that we shouldnt take Melo solely b/c he is getting older..

look at his game.. he basically faces you up and shoots that midrange or posts you up and shoots a turnaround. His game isnt based on athleticism."

"Man MDA doesn't know a defensive line up if it said D on it's chest.

Kelly on Melo hasn’t worked all day long try Wesley, or Hill who did a good job defensively on Melo."

"god, Melo is annoying!"

bluprint13
bluprint13

Lionel Hollins on Nba TV saying what the Knicks should do and is spot on. Hope he is in the running for next year...

lindro88
lindro88

Not to be so negative, but every team looks good against the Lakers. They usually also look good against Philly, although we screwed that one up.

brookdon
brookdon

They better pray that Nash retires and saves them money

lindro88
lindro88

Hot trash that hung with us all day.

lindro88
lindro88

They were blown out of two f them, and losing at home to the Sixers is very hard to do. This is a terrible team. They still can and have to make the playoffs, if only to avoid the ultimate nightmare of watching Denver draft our potential future all star.

Seth Nadler
Seth Nadler

Not to mention no way he works with Kobe, the best thing the Knicks have going for them is that not many other teams that will have cap space are that much better than the Knicks options.

Parz Lou
Parz Lou

@Jaime never was a fan of woodson.... but at least he knew nuff to leave th jr in place of shump later in the 4th   timmy a much bigger offensive threat. to space the floor.  his d is non existent tho

Seth Nadler
Seth Nadler

How are they 7-4 in January when they just lost 5 straight, nothing like making up stats to try to make a point

kenmetskni
kenmetskni

Maybe not the Lakers. But maybe another team. Maybe the other LA team.

kenmetskni
kenmetskni

Why -Antoni didn't keep Hill on Melo is beyond me. Hill gave Melo some problems in the first half.

brookdon
brookdon

I liked Hollins. Anyone remember why he was fired?

MeloStat301
MeloStat301

Fact: Knicks have been playing .500 ball since the 9 game losing streak.

Lee Lewin
Lee Lewin

@Heartcore @Chris This is such a dumb argument to use. Wade has been nothing without Shaq and Lebron with him in his career. If i'm not mistaken he's failed to get out of the first round on his own.


Clippers werne't good with Blake alone. Its when they added Paul, Crawford and others to the mix they were good.


Indiana has built through the draft and has Portland, but no guarantee that when their time is up, they will be able to do it again. The odds are against them.



What i'm saying is that we have the star player already, its  the surround cast or 2nd star that is missing froim this team taking the next step. 


And that isn't comign through the draft. 


Chris
Chris

@Heartcore @Chris I am simply talking %s of drafting a star, not that you can`t. SA did that over a 15year span, so they got 3 in 15 years, so their 3/15 reduces to 1/5 which is 20% chance of success, 80% chance of failure. You want to give away a certaintity for a 20% chance of success?

Parz Lou
Parz Lou

@lindro88     tou·ché

1harris1
1harris1

@kenmetskni I could definitely see the Clippers if they had the salary cap space to sign him.  For now though, they don't.

JerseyFan1
JerseyFan1

In disagreement w/ Memphis management

bluprint13
bluprint13

Attack the basket, share the ball, play better defense. Was nice about it didn't bash Woody.

Chris
Chris

@Nick White @Heartcore @Chris Some people have an envy complex which makes it difficult to think rationally. Chandler would be my second move, no 1, is a coach that is given actual control of the team. Right now Dolan and Mills are running the show, and the show is a Shakespearian tragedy. It has to obvious to all but Woody`s family that Kidd and Sheed ran the team. Our coach is dumb, and has no idea what to do. We need a coach first, then a pg second 

Nick White
Nick White

@Heartcore @Chris what about last year? would they won 50 without him? how about trade chadler to get people to surround him sacrifice 1 year next year and 2015 get him a couple stars and 2015 is the championship;

Chris
Chris

@Heartcore @Chris yes. Trade him now stuff is your excuse to get rid of him. Be honest for a change. I say keep him, and try to resign him. Like a new coach and new pieces. We will be a bottom team for ever if we trade him. We gave away King, and we gave away Pats expiring contract. The Knicks history is filled with dumb crap like this. So lets reverse the trend

Lee Lewin
Lee Lewin

@Heartcore Lebron decided to do that with Bosh and Wade, there is no way that Melo does that with an oft injured Rose who can't stay on the court. 

ENGLBERT_HUMPERDINK
ENGLBERT_HUMPERDINK

@JerseyFan1 Gotcha, so he would not do good here in NYC because Dolan dont like that at all!!! Like you said you can never win that game!

lindro88
lindro88

They hired Hollinger. Hollins is not a big belieber (see how I fit a trending story in) in advanced stats.

JerseyFan1
JerseyFan1

Didn't have a good relationship with the new owners and they wanted to go in a new direction. and of course he was in disagreement with players then Didn't physically fought with them and as a gentleman said when Coach deal with players that way they always lose.

bluprint13
bluprint13

Analytics and Rudy Gay trade. He wanted a perimeter scorer not metrics.