Who do the “experts” have going to the Knicks tonight? A roundup of the final mock drafts and lucky pick number 24…
- ESPN: Jamaal Franklin, SG, San Diego State
- Draft Express: Jamaal Franklin, SG, San Diego State
- Hoopsworld: Erick Green, PG/SG, Virginia Tech
- Rotoworld: Kelly Olynyk, C, Gonzaga
- CBS Sports: Lorenzo Brown, PG, N.C. State / Jeff Withey, C, Kansas
- Sports Illustrated: Tony Mitchell, PF, North Texas
- Bleacher Report: Allen Crabbe, SG, Cal
Ben KopelmanAll by way of saying: who knows.
If the team is confident it can re-sign JR Smith, I’m looking at tonight as a way to add a solid role player with size. Guys like Gorgui Dieng (L’Ville), Mason Plumlee (Duke) or Tony Mitchell would be solid additions at #24.
That said, I’m over Withey — I think he’s a nice shot blocker, but I just don’t seem him being able to bang with the big boys in the NBA (aka Roy Hibbert).
Then again, if they are less confident they can keep their second-best scorer, they should use this pick as a means of filling that impending void and could make a boom-or-bust pick in a guy like Providence’s Ricky Ledo.
Expectations of whoever the team lands should be tempered. The last three drafts saw Damion James, Reggie Jackson and Jared Cunningham go at 24.
Only Jackson seems to be much of an asset and he did nothing in his rookie season. But good teams always seem to use late round picks to their benefit — something the Knicks, given their salary cap situation, must be sure to do this evening.